Friday 2 December 2011

Why Buy, When You Can Make?

In the middle of a life full of high-stress jobs and tight-packed, busy schedules, blackberrys, status updates and tweets that most of you out there may be leading, I am about to make a wild suggestion. If you follow a gifting tradition during Christmas and New Year- why not take a little time out of your bsy days and make some nice little gifts for your loved ones instead of buying things off the racks from some gift shop? Its old fashioned, yet so charming.

It doesn’t take much really…a bit of enthusiasm, mixed with some inspiration and one lazy, easy afternoon. And if you have all of that, then here’s a little idea to get you started. It is winter and may be just the right time to make a silk scarf for your friend or sister or colleague?

I just made this one:

And here’s how I did it.

I got pure satin silk from the store, and some complementing acrylic colour. I drew a pattern all over and filled in the pattern with gentle rush strokes. Once the painting was done, I got some matching border from the store and got that stitched to all four sides of the scarf. A gorgeous silk scarf was ready…all handmade and luxurious.

You can do it too. What joy it would bring to someone who you gift something like this. In the age of Archies Galleries and glitzy malls, something thing like this could sound like from the Grannies times…but hey, some things never lose their charm- like a handmade gift, made for someone with love...and coming straight from the heart. So go ahead, try making one and send me pictures, And if you love the idea, want a hand-painted scarf or stole and yet too lazy to make it…let me know, I will do it for you.
http://www.sharmilabhowmick.com/



1 comment: